Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Scrappy Happy Scarves Tutorial



Let me tell you had much fun I had making these. I seriously want to start up a scarf making business, hit the road and do shows selling them. I had to reel it back in because I might have too much going on to fit that in, but let's just say I was excited. These are FUN to make!

The scarf body is knit, so it's super soft around your neck. Then it's time to clean out those scrap bins, anything goes with these scarves.

Here's what you'll need:

Desired length of scarf x 18"(mine are 40" long)
Scraps of fabric measuring at least 8" x 6"
18' or longer trim pieces
felt, velvet, tulle, etc for flower layers
1" or 1.5" ceramic button

Instructions: 
1. Using the two fringe pattern pieces cut out 8-9 fringe pieces. This should be done with right sides together.
2. Sew around the outside of the fringe using a 1/4" seam allowance. Leave the straight edge open. Clip around the curves, turn, and press. Do this for all fringe pieces.
3.Square up the knit fabric so it measures approximately 18" by the length you would like for your scarf. I choose to make mine long so they are 40" in length.
4. Lay out one end of the scarf on your work surface. Pin or spray bast the desired trims across the bottom of the knit fabric. Leave about an inch below the lowest trim. Sew these in place.
5. Find the middle of the scarf and mark with a pin. Start arranging the fringe pieces along the bottom of the scarf to the middle pin mark. Point the curved edges in toward the middle of the scarf. Leave approximately 1/2" on each side without fringe for sewing later. Layer as many fringe pieces across the bottom as you would like.  Repeat for remaining end of the scarf.
6. Fold the scarf in half so the right sides are together. Sew along each end of the scarf, securing the fringe. Sew up the length of the scarf as well leaving approximately a six inch hole along the side for turning.
7. Turn the scarf inside out and hand stitch the opening closed.

 Flower Embellishment Instructions:
1. Cut out layers of felt, velvet or quilt fabric using the pattern pieces.
2. Stack them up so the largest layer is on the bottom and they get smaller as the go up.
3. Place the button on top and sew through the button and all of the layers to secure.
4. If you desire you can add a felt leaf tho the bottom of the flower.
5. Arrange and sew into place on one end of the scarf.


Full size pattern pieces can be downloaded and printed here.

You can find kits for the scarves in my webstore.

Have a great day!








Are you receiving my Project Newsletters? You can sign up here. Don't miss a thing!
Visit my Website, Etsy Shop, Blog, Facebook

39 comments:

  1. I LOVE these scarves! I too want to drop everything and start making a whole bunch! I'll start with one and see how that goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will want to make more than one, or at least I did. :)

      Delete
  2. These are beyond AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing!! i cant wait to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Make sure you post them in the Flickr Group (see todays post)

      Delete
  3. totally agree amazing
    Thanks soo for sharing your talents WOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my GOODNESS! These are SO cute, I can't stand it!!! You are truly an artist and have a great eye for color. I know what I am making my daughter for Christmas! Thank you for sharing your talent with everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, so happy you like the scarves, have fun!

      Delete
  5. Those are so much fun! I'll just have to make one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clothes SHOULD make you smile. Love these. Linking to them on WeeFolkArt.com's Facebook page. Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These scarfs are so cool! wow this is my first blog-comment in englisch only for you because of this great idea and tutorial! Thank you very much for share it with us. I will try this in the next days.
    Greetings from Germany! Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are soo cute - I surely will give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are soooo cute! I can't wait to try making one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these creations! I wish I could quit my day job! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Extremly cool. Thanks.

    From Kirsten, Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so adorable and cute. I, who doesn't have a need for scarfs. want one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the cutest project I have EVER seen! I am making these with the kids old clothes. They will LOVE them...you know the clothes that I don't want to give away but don't really know what to do with...Christmas present mystery has been solved! THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are SO DARN CUTE!!!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SOOOO cute! They're going on my gift list for next year for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is the cutest !!!!!! love it ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. these are FABULOUS!!! thanks so much for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so fun. I am making them for next XMAS! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cute are these! Congrats on a new twist to the traditional scarf. I thought "I'm to old to wear that scarf" Then I thought "Nah, I could use a bit of sparkle and glam" Thank you dear girl.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Making one this week for a friend's Happy Birthday! Oh, and one for me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are just adorable! I would be afraid to wash these with felt, velvet etc....what do you suggest to recipients?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't sew (I knit and crochet). Please sell these in your Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would like one I do not sew

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Jennifer I just made one a few days ago and I love it....

    ReplyDelete
  26. The scarf is beautiful!
    Thank you for this great idea!

    Greetings from Austria
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful!!!
    Many thanks for the instructions!

    Have a nice day!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great tutorial!! Thank you :) Just made one for a good friend...

    Greets, Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  29. love, love, love. Found this this morning and it's almost finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Jennifer! I just made one of these scarves! I love how it turned out - thanks for the inspiration! I posted a photo with a link back to you on my blog. What fun! Cheers, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yhank you for sharing this tutorial :) I've just made simple version of your scarf and it's great! I shared it here: http://michelle.schowek.net/2014/10/07/scrappy-happy-scarf

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog, you're the best!

Pin It button on image hover